On May 6, 2020 businessman Louis DeJoy was announced as the unanimously selected 75th Postmaster General of the United States and Chief Executive Officer of the world’s largest postal organization. According to the Federal News Network, “DeJoy has become the first postmaster general in more than 20 years to lead USPS without prior experience working there.” His appointment has been a devastating factor in the current administration’s efforts to undermine the reliability of voting by mail in the upcoming election.
What is at risk if more cuts are made to the United States Postal Service (USPS) includes:
- People will have trouble receiving important medications. Over half of those receiving their medications through the mail are over 65. People with disabilities also rely on USPS for medications and equipment.
- Voters in rural areas will not have reasonable access to mail-in voting.
- A ‘poll-tax’ could be charged in the form of sending a ballot through another service. A FedEx envelope to send a ballot would be at least $8.50, according to Vox.
Our faith calls us to action! Here are two actions you can take right now to support the fight to save the USPS:
- Text “USPS” to 50409. This will send an email to your representatives urging them to join and continue the work to support the USPS.
- Sign this petition from the Center for American Progress to stop the blocking of relief funding to our post offices.
With love and faith,
The UUSM #UUtheVote team
Join us as we fight voter suppression and get out the vote. Click here to find out more!.