Unitarian Universalism in America has more than a century of history of advancing our liberal religious values through the democratic process. Following in that tradition, the UUSM Board of Directors has committed that we will do all we can to #SideWithLove in November: we are fully committed to mobilizing the electorate and UUs in support of dignity and justice for all through our democratic process.
When we organize, we build power in our communities for justice, accountability, and healing. In the last two years, UU the Vote has built new networks of spiritual and political communities to #VoteLove and #DefeatHate.
With UU the Vote 2022, we’re organizing on the state and local levels to fight for fair elections, advance voting rights, protect abortion access, and resist the targeting and criminalization of Black, Indigenous, and people of color communities. And we’re working with organizations advancing voter participation across the country.
There is so much at stake in the 2022 midterm elections. Together, our communities can address the current threats to our democracy and human dignity.
Please join us on Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 9:30 at UUSM under the Shade Structure. as we gather to organize in the months before the election. (The Evite link may show May 22, but rest assured, we will be meeting on May 29!)
Already ready to sign on? Join the Santa Monica UU the Vote Team today!
You don’t need to be told about the importance of the November election, or to mail back your ballot early. But you might be wondering what else you can do to move the needle on the election, and who are the people you can do it with?
Well right now, you can plan to show up this Sunday morning and scheme to mobilize the electorate and UUs. We are unequivocally: Pro-Migrant, Pro-Democracy, Pro-Equity & Liberation Movements, Pro-Human & Civil Rights for All, Pro-Reparations, and Pro-Sustainability.
Then join UUSM as we:
- Act alongside candidates and issues that have direct and material impacts on the communities in which we have declared political solidarity with.
- Get Out the Vote through phone banks, text banks, postcards, and voter registration.
- Have values-based conversations with our UU community and networks about our values and what we are voting for in 2022.
- Participate in learning and political education to responsibly and effectively engage and organize in anti-racist and pro-democracy movements.
- Share our resources with people and communities most deeply impacted by the handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and the decades-long campaign of voter suppression.
- Turn out with resources, time & support to fight against authoritarianism and in support of communities of Color, poor people, people with disabilities, immigrants, Trans and Queer people in our congregation and community following the election.
UUSMers are already phone banking, writing postcards, and working with civic and faith-based organizations like the League of Women Voters, Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice, and the UU Justice Ministry of California.
Now we’d like to invite you to join us as we plan to mobilize as a community in the remaining months before the midterms.Please join us Sunday, May 29 at 9:30 a.m.! Reserve your bagel and your seat here!.